What happened to me? Chapter 1:


Hello Friends and Family,

I am relatively new to this whole blogging thing, but I’m giving it a whirl! Thank you to John Guydon and Joe Sanders for setting this up for me. It’s a lot easier to share my daily progress this way. So let’s start from the beginning. In March I had a respiratory cold, but decided to go out and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day (with my strong Irish roots and all). Surprisingly, a cold, cocktails and oysters sent me into a downward spiral of illness.  I woke up the next day with a terrible cough and had no voice. I went to the doctor and was given antibiotics. That night my stomach and esophagus felt like they were literally on FIRE! I woke up the next morning with a rash all over my chest. Abbey recalls me coming into the room and asking, “is this normal?” The Doc assumed I had a reaction to the antibiotics so I stopped taking them. I continued to have the rash on and off for the next week, but then things started to clear up. I felt pretty ‘normal’ besides being tired from work and house work preparing for the baby. Then in late April my foot and ankle started to swell up. I assumed I tweaked it at work, but the next day both feet were swollen. They definitely looked like professor Klump’s from the Nutty Professor. Then the rash was back. I took some Benedryl and passed out for about 12 hours. The next day Abbey and I were staining our deck and I felt exhausted after only a short time of painting and started to get a bad bloody nose. We decided to call it a day and grab some dinner before the Laker game started, but suddenly something came over me while I was tying my shoes and decided to go to the after- hours care instead. I explained all my symptoms to the doc and he was about to send me home with some Claritin. Luckily, he decided to take some blood and look it over first. Abbey and I sat in the room for over an hour playing around with the few medical devices they left in the room. After a couple of round s of words with friends,  and me anxious to get home for the Laker’s game, the doctor finally came in. He said, “I’m sorry but I’m about to ruin your night.” He told us that my platelets  and red and white blood cells were low. Low platelet levels are around 150,000 and mine were 18,000. The doctor said we need to drive straight to the ER. Totally caught off guard, we headed over to the ER. After several blood tests, a bone marrow biopsy (which hurts like hell) and three days of waiting on the oncology floor (the cancer wing, already a bad sign), they doctor came back with words I never thought I’d hear. The bone marrow biopsy confirmed that I had AML Acute Leukemia. She started to explain that they would continue to look at a few chromosomes but at that point I quit listening in shock and horror from the news. This type of cancer didn’t have the best odds but I tried my best to prepare for the chemo that would start the following day. That next morning, the doctor called but I was in the bathroom (you know me). Several minutes later she rushed into my room and shouted, “you have APL Leukemia.” My initial thoughts were, whatever, cancer is cancer. Turns out APL (known as Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia), is more rare, but has a much higher remission rate! APL Leukemia is a subtype of AML  (much easier to fight according to my doctors). Now we joke around stating that I have “good cancer.” I am now in my fourth day of chemo. The first night sucked. I had chills, shakes, fever, shortness of breath  . . . you name it.  Although things are definitely rough right now, I’m feeling okay besides these hiccups I’ve had for about 12 hours!! Lastly, I am overwhelmed with all the love and support Abbey and I have received. I can’t express how grateful we feel to know so many amazing people. I already have a whole new perspective on life and attribute that to all who have encouraged and supported me thus far. I love you guys!


8 thoughts on “What happened to me? Chapter 1:

  1. Wow!!!! Life sure is full of surprises….good and bad! You are such a strong person Alex and I know you are going to get through this and be stronger than EVER!! I’ll keep the prayers going and please keep us posted on your progress. Much love to you, Abbey and the little one!! xoxo

  2. Alex,
    Sorry to hear about this my friend. I do know one thing about you and that is your a fighter and will beat this. I’m praying for you and your family. I here for you if you need anything. Love Coach Hagan

  3. There is nothing you can’t beat buddy. Happy to hear your spirits are high. Buff Nation is thinking and praying for you!! Treat Cancer like a Fullback and you’ll be just fine!!

  4. Hey brother I know you will fight right through this like every thing else. Stay strong and keep us abreast. I love you and will talk to you soon.

  5. Hey you two,
    Let me know if you need anything. Monsters are sending lots of love your way. Take care,

  6. Thoughts and prayers Ligon family. If you need anything From southern Colorado you have the email.

    Forever Buffs

    Sean Spradling

  7. We are keeping you in our prayers! You are such a strong person, and we are so honored to call you a friend! Once a Buff… Always a Buff! We are family!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: